The aim of the SAFEDRONE project is to acquire practical experience in Very Low Level (VLL) operations, where both manned and unmanned aircraft will share the airspace. The project will have a clear practical focus on innovation, integration and test flights.
The SAFEDRONE consortium consists of two private companies; INDIRA and Unifly, two government-owned companies; IAI and ENAIRE, two aeronautical research centers; CATEC and CRIDA and one university; the University of Seville.
There are six specific objectives:
- The demonstration of the integration of general aviation, state aviation, both manned and unmanned, into non-segregated airspace. The goal is to explore the feasibility of the U-Space vision by 2019.
- A large number of demonstrations, with the aim of accumulating evidence and experience about the required services and procedures necessary to operate drones in a safe, efficient and secure manner within U-Space.
- The validation of proof of concept implementations of a large variety of U-Space services and procedures.
- Providing evidence to EASA and National Aviation Authorities to reinforce the safe integration of drones under U-Space for the different drone categories. Alongside this, the lessons learnt and the used technologies during the project will be proposed to the different standardization bodies.
- Coordination with the recently approved SESAR-RPAS projects in order to align the demonstrations with the CONOPS and technological developments of these projects.
- Increasing the awareness of the advances in U-Space within Europe through the dissemination of the obtained results.
Visit the official project website for more information: